Handball is a sport for fostering agility and fitness levels, so you are in the perfect location if you’re searching to this fast paced game for the basics.
Handball is a game that is fast-flowing. It requires lightning reflexes and thinking as players are only allowed three steps using a 3 time limit, with the ball.
The players work together, dribbling and passing the ball up the court. The quick pace of the game leads to many shots being taken, and it’s not unusual for over 20 goals each side to be scored in sport. To ensure everything runs smoothly, you will find 4 officials per game, the timekeeper, scorekeeper and two referees who remain near the action.
The game requires strength, agility and speed and has been compared to being a cross between soccer and basketball, even though the players (other than the goalkeeper) aren’t allowed to kick the ball.
Handball is often known as Olympic handball in order to not be confused with other entirely different variations of ‘handball’ that involve the use of hitting a little ball with the hand in a walled court.
Health and fitness benefits of handball
Playing handball has a number of fitness and health benefits
- Enhances upper body strength and arm muscles.
- Agility of feet and hands, with changes of direction and pace required.
- Boosts the flexibility of the body.
- Enhances self-confidence and mental focus.
- Provides the body with a fantastic exercise, feeding oxygen.
Positions include a circle runner, two fullbacks, two wingers, a goalkeeper and a centre. Here is the lowdown on those handball positions.
There are 14 players in each group in handball, with seven to the pitch at any 1 time.
The positions in handball are as follows:
- Goalkeeper — the player who defends the target! The goalkeeper is the only player who can touch the ball.
- Centre — a creative player who directs play in both attack and defense. Also called the ‘playmaker’ and sets up the players in places and the strategies.
- Right and left backs the players on the team. They try to block shots Ufa when defending, and they’re the handball shooters that are long-range.
- Circle runner — the force to competitions when defending in attack and disruption. The circle runner is fast and has in among opposing defenders to create openings for teammates or to get into a good scoring position.
- Left and right wingers — the players who patrol the court’s faces. They counter in assault seem to make openings for others, or take from the angles and opposing wingers.
- Substitutes — substitution is permitted at any time, without limitation and without time stoppage. There are seven substitutes on the sidelines for every side that is handball. But there is cannot play until the player they’re currently swapping for a substitute off the court.
How the sport came to be
The sport of handball’s roots could be traced to Europe, primarily Germany Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Sets of rules were put up in Germany and Denmark. Over time these were improved upon and finally resulted in the first international games — Germany and Belgium men’s groups meeting in 1925 under this code of laws.